Marinades to Tenderize Tough Meat
Small game birds such as quail and grouse can be dry and tough. So you will need a special marinade when roasting these birds. Marinades add flavor to meat and help to tenderize it. This is because most marinades contain an acid such as wine or fruit juice which helps break down tough fibers. Fresh pineapple juice is most effective as it contains a special enzyme that breaks down proteins and tenderizes meat. These marinades can also be used when roasting other kinds of games and poultry.
- Fresh pineapple juice mixed with grated lemon zest.
- Lemon juice, crushed garlic and dried red pepper flakes.
- Red wine, cranberry juice and juniper berries.
- Orange juice, lime juice, cracked peppercorns, coriander seeds and chopped fresh chili
- White wine, cider vinegar, cumin seeds, allspice berries and cinnamon stick.
- Red wine, cinnamon stick and cracked cloves
- Sherry vinegar, oil, thyme, sage and bay leaf
- Red wine, rosemary and marjoram