Staying Healthy With a Balanced Diet
Nutrients (carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, minerals, fats, and water) are essential for a healthy life and also for the growth and repair of your body. In order to stay healthy, we need a well balanced diet which contains all the essential nutrients.
- Most of what you eat should be nutrient-dense foods, avoiding empty calories. This means that you will get adequate nutrients within a healthy calorie intake.
- Choose food that limits the intake of unhealthy fats, cholesterol, added sugar, salts and also alcohol.
- Try to manage weight by balancing the calories that you consume from the ones that you burn.
- To prevent gradual weight gain, make small decreases in the calories you consume and increase your physical activity.
- Make healthy eating part of your life rather than depending on crash diets.
- Get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day.
- Concentrate on the foods with the highest nutrient density like fruits, vegetables, whole grain, low fat or fat-free milk and milk products.